Sunday, November 4, 2007

New Wing

Its time to catch up on the driver side wing removed in June. Here you see the trumpet section and attachment points for the wing painted with POR-15 rust paint. The splash panel was replaced behind the wheel. The front valence was quite a mess indeed. Here it is stripped down and in the process of bumping the metal back into shape. I learned some important body work lessens here. Patience is key! If you think it is smooth - its not. Keep going until you are absolutely positive you can get it no better. Extra work here saves time ten-fold during the later application of filler,which should be no more than a skim if you did it right.
I made this improvised "slap hammer" for final smoothing. Its a large spike welded to some thick flat stock and works nicely during the final smoothing stages. I would have preferred a more comfortable handle, but its what I had on hand at the time. A great book on the subject of metal body work is "The Key to Metal Bumping" available from Eastwood. The book is a classic from the 1950's and details the almost lost art of car body metal work.
Its a wing in a box!
Good things come by freight in large packages, like the heritage panel from Moss Motors made with the original tooling. In the packing materials I found a new electrical bullet connector. Spend several hundred dollars on a new wing, get a free bullet connector? The savings count well into the tenths of dollars.
Installation was a bolt-on operation with some minor adjustments for fit around the door and bonnet. Seam sealer at the joint by the window and some primer sealer completed the job. I also painted around the base of the window by the wipers due to considerable chipping and rust. Before and after pics:
No electrics in the wing yet. There are other priorities, including stabilizing the rust damage in the floor pans and other winter preparations.

1 comment:

John Lien said...

Hey Tim! That car is really looking good. I especially like the bumper-free look. I also like primer gray as a car color but that's just me. Also, you are hammering some sheet metal I see. I want to try that. Looks like fun.

John